Monday, October 27, 2008

Blew It. Big time.

Do you want to make a difference?
Do you want to make a BIG difference?
I do.

About six months ago, myself and three teens were in my car on our way to play disc golf, when we saw a car on the side of the road with the driver reaching in the trunk to grab a gas can. Thinking to myself that this would be a great time to help someone while teaching the teens...we picked him up and filled his $4.80 of gas can.
I felt good.

Just four months ago I was headed to the church for a college day out trip, when I noticed on the side of the road a lady with a flat tire. I had time to spare (no pun intended) so I changed her tire and got her back on her way.
I felt good.


Last Tuesday I went to the home improvement store to pick up some items to fix a leaky bath. (Lora mentions it in her blog) As soon as I pull in the parking spot, I saw an elderly lady pushing a cart with a couple of items in it while walking with a cane. As I shifted the gear stick into park, I thought to myself, "well she made it out this far, I'm sure she'll be okay."
Walking throughout the store, I did not feel good.

I seemed to classify making a BIG difference by doing BIG things. Changing tires, picking up people out of gas and paying for their gas sounds huge in comparison to asking a lady already at her car if she needs help getting the items that she clearly put in her cart, out of her cart and into her car. How wrong. How far from the truth.

Truth is, loving people should just be about loving people. No hidden agenda, no scale to weigh the impact helping someone makes. Everyday lending a hand to whoever needs it. Everyday helping others without looking for a reason to "share" God's love. It should be the very fact that I or we have God's love that causes us to help others and not the other way around.

That is the difference, and it's BIG.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, hon! Definitely makes you want to be more aware of those around you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for checking out my blog! Hope you were challenged and that you enjoyed the read.