Friday, October 17, 2008

I'm going to side with Job on this one.

Bad things happen.
Bad things happen to good people.
Bad things happen to good people for no reason.
Bad things happen to good people because of someones wrongdoing.

We've all been there. Maybe you're like me and you're still there. I'm in a place right now that I never thought I'd be in my life.

I'm in the ashes.

Looking back over the last 4 months, then the last 7 months and finally the last 2 years, I've come to quit asking the questions and decide to side with Job on this one. Job is the guy from the Bible who a lot of terrible stuff happened to him because, well, honestly....because God gambled. The devil asked him a quesiton. A question that we all must face at some time or another.
Was Job in love with God, or was Job in love with what God gave him?

The outcome, Job loved God. Period.

In searching for answers to my own situation I've found it really easy to blame others. I mean really easy. In fact, the worse someone acted the easier it was to blame them. The more the neglect, the easier it is to focus on their wrong doing. The more gossip, the more I cry out, "God take them out!"

All of the sudden it makes me, this "good person", as wrong as those who are doing the "bad things" towards me.

In his ashes, Job makes this statement, "He (speaking of God) gives and takes away." Job had this unnatural realization that God is in total control and anything that happens comes by God allowing it to happen. Joseph told the same idea to his brothers (the ones who sold him into slavery) he said, "this wasn't your doing, but God's purpose for my life."

I have found that pointing fingers at people who have "done me wrong" makes forgiveness extremely hard to achieve. However, when I realize that God, "did me wrong" all of the sudden it makes forgiving those who acted wrong towards me very easy, and it makes me understand the situation. Because God is good. He never does us wrong. He gives and takes away.

What He has taken away is the "love for what He gives" and has replaced it with.....love for Him.

2 comments:

  1. It's it amazing what treasures trials can bring, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own a book by Bob Sorge called Pain, Perplexity, and Promotion: A Prophetic Interpretation of the Book of Job. You can borrow it, if you want. Job is an amazing character, and it is probably one of my favorite Old Testament books. I know the end result, the rainbow, if you will. I have seen that for the Lawrences and for you guys. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for checking out my blog! Hope you were challenged and that you enjoyed the read.