Friday, January 9, 2009

A Father's Heart

I've come to find out that I've been carrying a lot of hurt due to a lack of having Spiritual Fathers in my life. Because of that, I've also caused a lot of hurt by not being and responding to those near me, who looked to me, to be a spiritual father to them.
I didn't know this at first, even though I've been able to quickly point out a lack of "father-ship" in my life, I failed to understand and connect the dots between being hurt and lack of spiritual father-ship.

Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers....(1Corinthians 4:15)

That word "many" is what jumps out to me. I do have one in my life currently, with the introduction to one more that has just been birthed over last weekend.
But many?
Sadly, no.
I personally think that in life it is important to have spiritual fathers that are far and some that are close.

Here is why we all need "many" Spiritual Fathers in our lives.
A Father's Heart
1. Fathers Give Us Identification
A. Children must know who they are.
B. We must know who we are to know where we’re going.

2. Fathers Give Us Impartation
A. When Jesus was baptized in water He received the Holy Spirit. Matthew 4:16
B. Paul imparted gifts to Timothy by the laying of hands. I Timothy 1:6

3. Fathers Give Us an Inheritance
A. It’s a father’s delight to bless his children.
B. It’s God’s will to bless your children to accomplish more. Deuteronomy 30:5
C. They should exceed us.

Perhaps, you're like me and have struggled to fully walk in the destiny God has for you. I suggest finding a person (or many persons) who has a father's heart in raising up spiritual sons and daughters.

I'll share in the next few post more characteristics of a Father.

Blessings!


(Inspired by: Dale Yerton)

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean. It's recently come to my attention that I have no personal mentors in my life...never really have. The discovery rather scared me because I have too many people following me to not have someone to look to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to that man. Over the course of my last 6 years, I have lost 4 gentlemen who I considered mentors, and am currently w/out one. I now have a couple of "brothers" I guess you could say that challenge and encourage me. I've also never had the greatest father figures either. Never knew my birth father, and my step dad and I aren't that close these days.

    I've held Romans 8:15-16 really close to my heart over the last few years - especially as I'm learning to lead others more and be a father.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for checking out my blog! Hope you were challenged and that you enjoyed the read.