Friday, September 24, 2010

Fresh Eyes

Being in ministry, I think I can be like most, that is; to develop a system for doing things and give little attention to changing.  After all, change is hard.

But what if we, as leaders, were able to walk in our churches or departments with a fresh set of eyes to give  information from a totally different perspective?  What if we were purposefully strategic in wanting feedback about what we are so comfortable in doing?

I used to manage a restaurant and while we lived by the policy, "the customer is always right" and did our best to make it so, there was another tool that really helped us gain an honest perspective.
The Mystery Shopper!!!! 
Without notice we'd receive a data sheet that graded us on everything from cleanliness of the store to the hospitality of the employees.  Food temp, order accuracy, restroom spotlessness, staff conduct and more.
We didn't know who it was or when they came, all we knew is they did! And when they did, we knew the results of their visit.  They yearly outcomes of these visits caused our district managers to come to our stores and hand out bonuses or give out pink slip warnings.

No matter how good we thought we were, or happy we felt about our customers experience, it all boiled down to the mystery shoppers report.

As I travel, I many times find myself acting like a mystery shopper.
"Why are those doors open?  Where do children check in?  Where do I find an usher?  Did someone greet me?  How friendly are the people?  Was the parking easy?  Where are the restrooms, can I get there from here?  Does service start on time?  Who is the staff?  etc........I can't help it---I love the local church and want to see Her presenting Christ in every program with excellence and power.

So here is the thought.  Ever think of asking someone off the street to come to your church and "mystery shop?"   Done right, it could not only prove to be a valuable tool to tighten up what God has entrusted you with, but also be an avenue to expose new people to your church.
If you'd like to hear more thoughts on this idea, contact me at www.vincefarrell.com

Blessings!!!

"The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. 9I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings."  Luke 16:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for checking out my blog! Hope you were challenged and that you enjoyed the read.